Thursday, June 14, 2012

Daring to do it: Cannelloni

Manu from Manu’s Menu was our Daring Cooks lovely June hostess and has challenged us to make traditional Italian cannelloni from scratch! We were taught how to make the pasta, filling, and sauces shared with us from her own and her family’s treasured recipes!

I love Manu, so I was super excited about this challenge.  I also love pasta, so I knew I was going to have fun with this.  I made the challenge fairly early in the month.  And tackled it for an evening when I was having company for dinner.  I was that confident in Manu's recipe and instructions.  And she did not let me down!!
Cannelloni de margi, with red sauce instead of cream sauce:
Rolling the pasta:

Filling with cheese and spinach:
Rolled up:
Served:


This was SO good.  We all loved it.  Five adults, three kids...   Ok, one of the adults didn't actually try it.  My dad doesn't eat pasta.  No, I have no idea when not.  But the rest of us were thrilled!
But I decided after this that I was not making pasta by hand again.  It is a real work-out.  This was the encouragement I needed to buy myself a present - I now have a hand-crank pasta roller...!  Yay!  So, of course, I had to make this again!!  This time it was a mixed vegetable filling.  But it was just as good. 

Rolling the pasta - the fun way!  (With the three-year-old doing the rolling, too)

Rolled up:

Cooked:
And the cannelloni cupcakes made with the extra:


Thank you, Manu!  This is something I fully plan to make again.  And again, and again!  Such a wonderful, versatile recipe, I am so glad you encourages us to make this!!!
Please check out the amazing dishes created by my fellow Daring Cooks!

3 comments:

  1. How fun - especially the "cupcake" version. Nothing beats homemade pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job, Ruth!! Your cannelloni looks awesome! I have been wanting a pasta maker, too, but keep putting it off because it's just another thing to keep in my kitchen. After all that rolling, though, I might be more easily persuaded to buy one now! :) Or come over to your house to use one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of your versions look delicious! I love the cannelloni cupcakes, they look so cute, great job!

    ReplyDelete