Friday, January 29, 2010

Challah back, y'all!

It is Friday, Challah day again. You'd thing I would be sick of this by now, but no! I am having fun trolling the internet looking for new recipes to try. This week I knew I wanted to do another whole wheat Challah. Savta is coming next week, and I know she likes it, so I figured it was as good a reason as any. I considered using the same recipe I used last time, but where is the fun in that? So I went searching. Again.
I found a recipe on allrecipes.com that looked yummy. I have had great luck with allrecipes before, I knew this would most likely be good. The problem was, this recipe was unrated. I am a bit of a snob, apparently... I usually look at the recipes with four or five stars. But this one has none. Was it worth it? I really gave it some thought... and decided to go for it. So here we go with D's Whole Wheat Challah.
In looking at the recipe, I was a little curious about the proportions. A whole cup of water and two packets of yeast (or, if you don't have packets and you need to measure like I do, 4 1/2 tsp. of yeast...) to make one loaf? And only 4 cups of flour? Hmmm.... I also don't keep artificial sweeteners in the house, so I knew I would have to "substitute" the real thing there. You know it is going to be an adventure when you approach a recipe looking to change it. But that's what I did. I let the yeast get foamy, and added in the rest of the ingredients. As I thought, the 4 cups of flour (plus 1/2 cup of oats...) were not enough to make bread dough. So I added more AP flour, 1/2 a cup at a time until I got the dough to a good, doughy consistency. Then the rise. While the recipe didn't call for it, I actually gave the dough a second rise before shaping it. (This rise turned out to be longer than I had intended, due to an unforeseen kitchen accident during the dinner making process, but that's a story better left unsaid to leave me less laughed at...) Again, as I thought, there was WAY too much dough to make one reasonable sized Challah! So I made two. I didn't dare attempt the six-strand braid again without better instruction, so I just did the three strands. Found a new technique, though, and the braids looked quite pretty, if I do say so myself...!
The loaves came out so beautifully! When I opened the oven door I go so excited! They browned nicely, they puffed up nice and big, and they smelled amazing. I can not wait to taste them!! I think I need to start making three loaves instead of two - or at least two loaves and a roll! I have having to wait until dinner to try the new recipes! But wait I will...

No comments:

Post a Comment